Saturday, March 10, 2012

What's a novelogue?

Last week, I heard about a whole new kind of reading experience: the novelogue. So what is a novelogue?

The definition, according to www.novelogue.com:

Novelogue(n.): A story told almost exclusively through dialogue. Character descriptions, and settings are minimally provided. Novelogues provide a fast-paced, easy-to-read alternative to prose novels. 


A Novelogue is designed to be read in the same amount of time it takes to watch a movie, or fly from New York to Florida.

HUNK, by Alex Harris, was my first Novelogue encounter. It was certainly a quick read, as promised, and the story itself was fun and fresh with a very current feel to it. The novelogue format, which reads a lot like a script, fit well with the story which followed a new actor and included movie scenes. But the format made it difficult for me to get into the story. The writing itself was very functional and I missed beautiful metaphors and words which perfectly described a feeling, thought, or place.

I don't know of any other novelogues out there, but I'd like to try another before I make up my mind on the format. What about you? Will you try reading, or writing, a novelogue? And had you heard of a novelogue before?






4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds kind of interesting. I may have to check this out. :) It'd be fun to write one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would definitely make for an interesting writing exercise!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of novelogues...sounds like something that would annoy me, to be honest. LOL! Maybe I'll try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, it wasn't my cup of tea, but maybe it just takes some getting used to?

      Delete