Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Narrative Mode

Choice of narrative mode, or point-of-view determines the whole feel of a story. And stories which may work in one mode may not work in another, so it's important for us writers to pick the right one!

In first person narrative, the story is told by a character within the story from that character's perspective. This is the "I did this and it made me feel this way" narrative. (Note: first person plural can also be used but would be "We did this...")

My thoughts on first person: I didn't used to mind it, but I got a bit overloaded on first person over the past two years and now it's a bit of a turn-off. I'm sure that will wear off soon though. What I do have a serious problem with though, is writing in first person. I've started a couple of stories off in first person, but at some point the story seems to end up being about ME rather than about my MC. I think it's a side effect of typing all those "I"s. For now I'm happy writing third person limited, but if I ever do decide a story just has to be told from first person, I'll have to practice. 


What about you? Do you prefer to write in first person? Do you have any tips for making sure your own personality doesn't end up dominating the MC's?

In second person narrative, the story is told as if the reader were a part of it. "You walk into a dark room..."

My thoughts on second person: I hate it. Second person brings out the snark in me..."Oh, really? I walked into a dark room full of spiders? Doubt it." The only novel I've read recently which used sections of second person was The Night Circus. I loved that book, so I was able to tolerate it, but it was still tough not to skip those sections. And I really just wouldn't be able to do a whole novel written in second person. 


What about you? Have you read any novels where second person was used well?

Third person narrative is the most common narrative mode. The narrative is not a specific entity, or a character in the story. This is the "He did this, she did that" narrative. Third person narrative may be omniscient (where the narrator has complete knowledge of people, places, events and time) or limited (the narrator's knowledge is limited to what a single character knows - the story is told from one perspective).

My thoughts on third person: This is my favorite narrative mode, both to read and to write. In particular, I enjoy a limited third person (or multiple limited third person) where I can really get to know a particular character or couple of characters and get their unique perspective on the world. It's like first person, but when a character does something I'd never do, I don't have to remind myself that the story isn't about me. 


The only place where it can get tricky is with omniscient third person. Too often, omniscient third person WiPs that I critique or Beta end up reading like limited third person with a serious case of head-hopping, or POV slippage. In my opinion, it's a really difficult narrative mode - getting too close to any characters creates confusion about the intended narrative mode, but keeping too great of a narrative distance makes it difficult for the reader to connect to the characters and create an emotional investment in the story.


Do you agree? What book have you read where omniscient third person was done well? What narrative mode do you most often use in your own writing?

Here are some helpful links on narrative mode:
Pro Writing Tips - Narrative Mode
Examples of different Narrative Modes
POV in Literature

14 comments:

  1. I posted a short story last Monday that was first person, and I gave my reasons in a follow-up article this past Saturday (okay, I know it's bad form to tout one's own blog on someone else's blog, but it's relevant... and I won't post the link). I prefer third person, but I will use first if I think the story, and what I'm trying to achieve emotionally is better served with the intimacy of first person. But I have read plenty of first person stories that would have worked just as well (or would even have been better) as third person. As with every aspect of our writing, we shouldn't pick narrative mode based purely on what we're comfortable with. I think it should be intentional, based on the needs of the story. Which narrative mode best tells the story, and best elicits the reader response I want?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read that post of yours on the weekend :) I completely agree that it's best to choose the narrative mode based on the needs of the story ... but, if the author can't effectively tell the story in a particular narrative mode, then that goes against the needs of the story too.

      In the end, I guess I'm just not really sure if any story NEEDS to be told in first person, but that's probably because I haven't yet come across a first person narrative that really knocked my socks off and made me think, "Wow, that really couldn't have been done as well in third person limited".

      Delete
  2. I fully agree! I've always loved reading 3rd person limited POV. I used to hate 1st person, then got used to it, then got overloaded with it.

    Now that I'm writing YA, I have to say that the POV thing has me a little worried. Like you, I just naturally gravitate to 3rd. To write something in 1st feels like pulling teeth. But 1st seems to be what a lot of (nearly all?!) YA is going for these days, unless it's multiple 3rd person POV. I'm really really hoping my choice of POV doesn't hurt my chances of publishing! I love 3rd! I really hope I can write in it and be marketable =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of YA in first, but I think we aren't the only ones who got overloaded with it and the trend seems to be shifting (which is great for writers like me and you!). I definitely don't think your choice of POV will negatively impact your chances of publishing - as long as you write the story in the narrative mode which allows the story to be the best it can be, I think you can pretty much get away with anything (except second, haha).

      Delete
  3. I really like first person. It comes naturally to me because when I write, I love to get deep inside my character's head. There aren't many third person books out there anymore, and I think that's a shame. You can do a lot of things in third person that you can't in first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you on that aspect of first. Sometimes it's helpful for me to do a bit of writing in first, kind of like a character diary entry, just to get me warmed up and in the character's head before I start working on the WiP. And with a limited third, I still feel like I can get deep into the character's head and really share the same sort of things with the reader that make a first person narrative preferable to some. And on top of that, I can alternate POV a bit :) That never works well with first person.

      Delete
  4. I went through a LONG period of time with using 3rd person, but now I prefer first. I think it makes more sense in YA sometimes. However, I'm toying around with a MG idea that I may return to 3rd person for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious, have you written many novels in first? I think be able to do one, but then I worry that the next ones would be too similar to the first (because of that problem I have with too much of myself getting in there and not enough of the MC). Do you have any tricks for making sure each one is unique? I mean, it would be tough for CPs to catch that sort of thing unless they realllyyy knew you well.

      Delete
  5. I prefer 3rd person, but I think you saw before, I'm changing a third to a first and it is a heck of a lot of work. Thinking about going back to third. I hate losing the POV of one of my characters. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that does sound like a monumental task. And it seems like you would lose so many scenes and need to do a lot of re-thinking in terms of how to tell the same story. I don't think I'd be able to do it, haha. But, if it's what's right for the story, then I guess you just have to do it. I've also heard of author's who've written entire MSs in one mode only to change it, and then change it back. But, they didn't see it as wasted time because they gained new insight into the characters and plot points by writing from different POVs. Hope you don't have to go through all that though ;)

      Delete
  6. I like to write in first person, though I am thinking of changing it up for my next idea. I don't think I could ever write or read anything in second person - it would drive me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second person is definitely a narrative mode I can't ever imagine using either. You're a brave soul for thinking about changing up the narrative mode for your next story! I'll be interested in hearing how it goes if you decide to take on the challenge :)

      Delete
  7. I'm a third-person omniscient writer from way back. Once in a great while, like my current WIP, I'll write in third-person limited to an extent. The only time I'll do first-person is if it's a book told in journal form, which is extremely rare for me. Though I do enjoy little forays into first-person in my third-person books, like in the form of letters, journal entries, or essays. It's fun to write from the POV of just one character for a few pages every so often.

    I hear you on the current oversaturation of first-person, esp. in YA. I've enjoyed more than a few first-person books over the years (both YA and adult), but now it's reached the point where my eyes are starting to glaze over every time I take part in some blog hop, contest, etc., and see yet ANOTHER YA in first-person. I'm starting to wonder if all these writers are choosing first-person just to follow the trend or because that's the style that comes naturally to them. First-person present tense is even more overdone. I only really like it in certain kinds of memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy reading first person thoughts and short letters or journal entries in books written in third-person. It spices it up and, when done right, gives all-important and relevant insight that I might not have been able to get through the third-person narrative.

      I think a lot of new writers have the idea that YA needs to be written in first person and so that's what they do. And I totally agree with you on the first person present - for some reason, I tend to notice that type of narrative to the point of distraction, and it can take away from the story (for me).

      Delete