Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for Kir Royale

Here's an interesting fact:

There is not one single K word on the list of the top 100 most commonly used words in the English language! This list makes up approximately 1/3 of all of the material printed in English. 


Is that why it was so hard to find a topic for today's post?


So you might be wondering what creme de cassis and champagne have to do with anything. Well, it's about rewards!


I'm a huge fan of setting goals and then rewarding myself when I reach them. Whether I set a goal of finishing a first draft, completing the A-Z blogging challenge, or querying a certain number of agents, having an immediate incentive to work toward (ex. going to the movies, checking out that new restaurant I keep hearing about, or buying a new book) keeps me chugging along.


And the Kir Royale? That's what I'll be rewarding myself with when I accept an agent's offer of representation - and the champagne won't be cheap.


So what about you? Do you have a particular reward lined up for meeting a writing milestone?

22 comments:

  1. I hadn't considered rewarding myself for finishing editing my first book - I need to think about that because I'm sure I deserve something nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you do too! Editing is a lot of hard work :)

      Delete
  2. I am exactly the same way...need goals.
    Meetinbg my writing goal for a week= get to buy a book or small treat.
    Finishing a draft=going out to dinner.
    Winning a contest=buying a copper pan. (I really love copper...that's kind of random, huh?)
    Those are three goals I have met. When I get an agent, I intend to break open some champagne, too. Maybe my agent will share some with me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love copper pans too! haha. Hope you get to break out that champagne soon :)

      Delete
  3. Not sure yet, but I also have a good bottle of sparkling wine that isn't going anywhere... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reward myself with a good book when I lose some weight. Hmm...maybe I'll try Kir Royale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as cocktails go, I can highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  5. Fun post! I give myself rewards for little mini goals too. Like "ok, when you've edited this chapter, you can go make that cup of tea" that way when I find myself straying to check email my tummy whines "wait no I like tea!" and pouts until I go back to editing =)

    I really should think of some rewards for the big things too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about the little rewards too :) But milestones definitely deserve bigger rewards :D

      Delete
  6. I told myself that as soon as I finish this latest round of rewrites/edits, I could take a road trip to Mike's Pastry in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yummy...I lived in Boston for 8 years and now I miss Mike's Pastry sooo much!

      Delete
  7. Going out with friends and celebrating, or inviting them in to share in the finished product.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to Disney World when I save enough royalties and when I make my first million, I'm going to sell everything and live there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Food is always my reward. In fact, my cousin and I both made a vow that if we finish our next first drafts by the end of May, we can pay a visit to Five Guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is always a good reward :) It motivates me too!

      Delete
  10. The next big milestone for me will be that offer of representation. Right now it seems so remote, I have no idea how I'll celebrate. But I'm all for celebrating milestones--I guess I'll just have to come up with one that's within my power to achieve. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems remote to me too, but sometimes things happen faster than expected so I have my celebration plan ready, just in case :)

      Delete