Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Learning

To me, being a writer is also being committed to life-long learning. I'm someone who never has been able to "turn myself off" and am constantly wondering, inspired to research a particular topic I might have heard or read something about, or itching to try something new. That's probably why I love writing so much - there's always something entirely new to learn while doing it.

I am always learning from my fellow writers. Just about everyday I read a blog post which makes me think about an aspect of my writing in a new way. And CPs and Betas reveal specifics about my writing so I can pin-point my weaknesses and research methods to work on them. I learn all sorts of new things before my work is ever seen by anyone else. Researching ideas, places, people, time periods, etc. for my manuscripts leads to new information in topics in nearly every field of study. 

But, there are the less obvious ways in which writers learn too. All I have to do is keep my eyes and ears open while riding public transportation and I'll learn something new which might translate to a character or scene in my current work in progress. And then there's the life experiences. When I first moved to Germany, I decided to say yes to anything anyone asked me to do. Sure, I ended up spending significant amounts of time outside of my comfort zone, drinking copious amounts of coffee to get through the day-after at work, and generally spending more money on things I wasn't even sure I wanted to do than made sense. But, I learned so much - I learned things about myself, learned what it felt like to experience things I might not otherwise have experienced, and I learned that doing things that might not sound very "me" can be awesome, especially if I'm surrounded by amazing friends (which are so much easier to find when you give everyone a "test-run" by accepting any and all invitations to hang out).
I don't have a degree in literature, or English, or even anything remotely related to writing, but I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. Reading (awesome novels within and outside of what I write as well as craft novels) and writing and learning from other writers (published or not) has provided me with an amazing foundation and I'm excited to apply everything I learn to each new WiP. The only thing I would love to do which I haven't yet done is attend a writer's conference/workshop - preferably this one in Big Sur. :)

So what about you? How do you learn the things you need to learn in order to be the best writer you can be? And do you think it's important to have a writing-related degree?

8 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more AK, if you're going to be a writer you have to be willing to learn, mostly about your own writing skills and how to improve. For me, the Internet has been a wonderful tool for learning. I have a number of blogs (this being one f them) and forums that I like to tap into. Every week they provide me with more "lessons" for writing, all for free!
    As far as having a degree is concerned? Well, it's just another way of learning. It's not necessary, at all, but if you have one fair enough too, I'm sure you learnt something from it.
    I have a degree in Literature, but while it provided me with some understanding of literary features and how to critically read views and values in texts. I have to say it taught me little about writing. Reading books on writing, and those blogs and forums have taught me that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have minded earning a degree in literature, but luckily, it seems that writing is one of those skills which can be learned through self-education. And there is sooo much information on the internet and in books on the craft - I definitely feel lucky to be able to have access to all of it.

      Plus, the writing community is such a great bunch - those with degrees in writing/literature are always so willing to share their knowledge (I'm sure you learning how to critically read texts has benefited me through the great crits you've given me) :) It's a truly great community.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a writing-related degree, either. I sometimes wonder if I missed out (I'm sure there are great discussions and such in classes), but I've read most of the books, so... Life experience is just as important for a writer to have. I do a lot of research for setting. I can make up about anything, but I like to see physical places before I write about them. I travel a lot as a result, which is a plus!

    Conferences are a great way to learn. I highly recommend them! If you're not already involved with SCBWI, look into it. They do tons of conferences and workshops, and the community is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder too sometimes about having missed out, but to be honest, I think a lot of the conversations on blogs and forums probably sound a lot like the discussions in a classroom. Just like in school, it seems to be about putting in what you want to get out. And no one needs those extra student loans, right? ;)

      I'd really like to attend a conference soon - do you have any recommendations? :) I've also looked into SCBWI, but I live abroad so I'm not sure how much sense it would make for me - I'll have to investigate further :)

      Delete
  3. One of my CP's went to Big Sur last year and loved it. I highly recommend WIFYR.com. I learned a ton there last year and am going back again in June. My dream is to get a MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont college because you do most of the work from home with an occational 10-day retreat at the college...how fun would that be, right? Money and time won't cooperate right now though, maybe when the kids are older? I definitely don't think you need a writing degree, though. My best advice is to write write write. And then write some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad to hear that your CP can recommend Big Sur :) And I'll definitely check out WIFYR.com!

      That MFA at Vermont college does sound pretty enticing...kind of like one long writing retreat!

      Delete
  4. My degree is in History which means I was trained to write about dead people. However, I don't believe a writer needs a degree, self-training & talent goes a long way. I recommend reading literature, your genre and everything you can to learn how to write well.
    Kate
    Follow & A to Z Visit http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A degree in history could really come in handy - maybe you don't have to look things up as often as I do, haha. And if you write historical fiction, then I can reaalllyy see how that would be the perfect degree :)

      I agree, a lot can be learned through reading. But, it's not enough. You have to write. write. write. until you learn to read like a writer. And then it's time to read some more. A lot more. And then, it might be possible to write something someone wants to read :) At least, that's how it's been for me!

      Delete